St. Lucia is one of my favorite islands in the Caribbean. It reminds me a little bit of Hawaii with its black/white sand beaches, towering mountains, known as the Pitons a UNESCO World Heritage site, lush vegetation, volcanos and rain forests. It’s a beautiful place for a honeymoon, and these five properties will not disappoint!
1) Ladera, an eco-friendly boutique hotel nestled on the edge of a cliff between Petit and Gros Piton is known for having the most beautiful views on the island. It was the first hotel to offer the three wall concept which gives the opportunity to be part of nature without camping outdoors! The open concept suites have private plunge pools, four poster beds with mosquito nets, coffee maker, bathrobes, and a kit equipped with binoculars, eye masks, slippers, and a map of the stars.
Popular with the locals, Dasheene restaurant offers three meals a day and prides itself on serving locally sourced food. I fell in love with the banana pancakes, roast conch, and spiced shrimp.
The hotel provides daily shuttles to the beach and will also book tours for guests. I suggest getting at least one in room massage before you leave. It was one of the highlights of my trip.
2) Ti Kaye Resort & Spa is truly the perfect hotel for couples looking for a secluded place to rediscover themselves after months of planning their wedding. This gem, located about 90 minutes from the international airport along the rain forest, consists of 33 cottages perched high on a hillside overlooking Anse Cochon.
In Creole, the world Ti Kaye means little house. Each private cottage overlooks the ocean. The hammock on the porch allows you to rock away to the sounds of the waves below. Some rooms have pools, and all have exotic outdoor showers.
To get down to the beach you will have to climb down 165 stairs! But just think of the exercise you will be getting after consuming the delicious meals they have to offer.
The property has one of the largest wine cellars on the island and has received numerous awards of excellence from Wine Spectator. I don’t drink wine but would highly recommend a private romantic dinner on the beach or a nice spa treatment where the rooms cantilever over the ocean. If diving is more your gig talk to Steve and he’ll set you up for the perfect dive experience.
3) Cap Mason Resort & Spa is a luxury property set amongst stunning gardens with gorgeous views of the Caribbean Sea, Martinique, and Pigeon Island. The resort, located on the north end of St. Lucia is near popular restaurants, mall, casino and about 2 hours away from the international airport. A helicopter transfer is the quickest way to get to the hotel.
I have not met anyone in St. Lucia who is not friendly, but I have to say the people at Cap Mason Resort bend over backward to make sure you have the best stay possible. They are quick to resolve any issues that might come up and are super helpful when suggesting things to do. Two of the splurges that I highly recommend are 1) reserving an ocean view suite with rooftop pool, unit 3 is my favorite, and 2) booking dinner for you and your sweetheart at Rock Mason where bottles of iced champagne fly via zipline down from the Cliff bar. You will never run out! Craig’s seafood dinner will not disappoint either.
On Friday night head over to Gros Islet for their weekly street party. You’ll get to mingle with the locals, eat lots of island food, and dance in the streets.
4) Jade Mountain Resort sits up on the hillside overlooking beautiful Anse Chastenet with extraordinary views of both Petite and Gros Pitons. One of the things you will notice when you arrive is the unique architectural style of the property. The three-walled sanctuaries average from 1600 to 2000 square feet, and most have infinity pools or Jacuzzis, whirlpool tubs, four poster beds and of course stunning views. You’ll be assigned your very own Butler or Major Domo as they call them at the hotel. Your Butler will be available 24 hours a day via cell phone to coordinate just about anything you need them to do. Want them to run a hot bath for you? Done!
I highly recommend getting an all-inclusive package because this hotel can be a bit pricey during high season. For example, the Romance package will include everything from meals, drinks, scuba lessons, airport transfers, massages for two, and tours, etc. – You’ll also have privileges at sister property Anse Chastanet which will give you access to 5 additional restaurants and unmotorized water sports.
5) Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, an eco-friendly boutique hotel with 14 lodges located in the lush rainforest; cater to the Chocoholics of the world. Hints of chocolate infuse everything from massages to cocktails and food. It is a truly delicious experience.
The hotel offers two types of Lodges, and I recommend booking the Luxury Lodge. Room 7 is extra quiet and has some of the best views. The rain shower is delightful, and the daily gifts of chocolate do not go unnoticed.
If you want to learn more about the chocolate process take the Tree-to-Bar tour. You will learn to harvest, ferment, dry, roast and create your chocolate masterpiece while exploring Rabot Estate, a working plantation.
Dinner at Boucan Restaurant is an experience for your taste buds, my favorites, Lightly Curried Coconut & Cacao Chicken and Vegetable Run Down. End the night with chocolate lava cake or mousse–yum!
If you want to learn more about St. Lucia or need help planning your honeymoon contact me here.
Videos/Picture courtesy of Ladera Hotel, Boucan Hotel Chocolat, and Conde Nast Johansens for Ti Kaye Resort & Spa, Jade Mountain Resort, and Cap Maison.